On to the bed platform.
If I placed it just right, I could create the bed platform side-to-side rather than front-to-back, giving me a lot more floor space to work with.
I seriously wanted a loft bed without “legs” that divided up the storage area underneath. I needed to be able to slide my storage boxes around underneath without being hindered. I also wanted the bed platform to be one continuous piece of plywood.
The old carpenter’s adage “measure twice, cut once” in this case turned out to be keep measuring until the results come out the same at least three times.
Firstly, I framed out the loft – I thought of it like building stretcher bars for a canvas and even mitered the corners. The size of the loft bed was going to be 48-inches wide – the width of a sheet of plywood. The plywood was 1/2-inch birch on both sides. I added a 48-inch extra layer of 1×3 on the studs for the frame and the platform to attach to.
The difficult part of the project was the curve in the walls and cutting the platform to fit and then installing it on the frame in one piece – which, I bet most carpenters would have thought would be impossible to do, but I worked a little with the flexibility of the door skin walls and eventually got it into place. I attached the bed to the frame with flat head wood screws.
Underneath the platform, I reinforced the frame with metal corner and joining brackets.
At this point the bed still bowed in a bit in the middle if weight was added to it because I still had to install the wall supports – closet and counter and the enclosure in the back – which came later. Also, I later added vertical 1×3 studs underneath the frame along the wall just before I moved into it,
In the end, I had placed the platform just a little too high, forgetting that I would be adding the height of the foam pad – which meant, the bed was a couple of inches shorter than I thought it was going to be and I was more comfortable sleeping at an angle than directly across.